Letters to Kripke, On That Revo Thing...

Following please find the first installment of what Linda and I from The Winchester Family Business and Tv For The Rest Of Us hope to be an ongoing series... With any luck my review of this week's episode of Revolution "The Song Remains The Same" will be up at www.tvortherestofus.com tomorrow night.




Dear Erik,

So you finally decided to drop the bomb on us (almost literally, with that stupid "nuke" scenario you want us to believe) and tell us how the lights went out.  Wonderful.  One minor critique… When you were talking about the only two programmed commands, you said one was "replicate"--and I'm on board with that one.  and the other is "absorb electricity".  So why is it EVERYTHING stopped working?  Why did batteries all of a sudden stop?  Why did cars stop? Why wouldn't solar power or gaslight work?  I ask this because not everything runs on electricity. Let me explain.

Hi, I live in Western Massachusetts.  2011 was our most bizarre weather year.  We got a hurricane, a tornado, an earthquake…we were essentially waiting for a volcano, but Nature trumped our asses with a flash snow storm that dumped a couple feet of really wet heavy snow on us.  In time for Halloween.  Anyway, all that heavy snow took down trees and took out power lines with reckless abandon…and left us without electricity for a week.

No electricity meant no hot showers.  It meant no refrigeration, but we had TWO FEET OF SNOW so I put my food from my refrigerator and my freezer on the porch. It meant that my stupid ass apartment complex that has OIL heat still didn't have heat because the switches were ELECTRIC.  But you know what?  I was expected to go to work every day because most places had GENERATORS.  Believe me, there were freaking political committees with the Governor's office making WMECO explain why virtually ALL OF WESTERN MASS WAS WITHOUT POWER FOR ESSENTIALLY A FULL WEEK.

My point? We lived and nobody got homicidal because there were options.  The government wouldn't just fall apart because there is no electricity.  It would be hard, but we aren't quite that horribly reliant on it…

Now, if you changed one word (i.e. you paid a little more attention to detail), and gave the command "absorb electrical impulses" then we would get somewhere because that is essentially all types of power.  Potentially fire/steam power would survive, but nothing else would…and possibly not even us, because our bodies run on electrical impulses from/to the brain, blah blah blah… 

In closing, I love you, but I call this theory B.S.

Forever your devoted servant (who would more than happily take a job as your assistant to pay that close level of attention to detail you so desperately need), 

Nicole

Comments

Popular Posts