Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!!


Ok, so Theodor Geisel's birthday was actually earlier this month, but since I had to write something for my creative writing group on Tuesday,  thought I would share.  The themes I needed to use were Dr. Seuss and March.  In case you didn't know, I work in Springfield, Massachusetts, almost directly across the street from the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden.  Additional information is here

Because I am rarely on time to anything, I showed up to the writing group late.  Everyone was already doing the shorter assignment and I only had about five minutes to write.  Here is what I came up with...


I know not what to write about.  
I know not how to cook a trout.
About a month?
About a day?
I just know this is not May.
Maybe if I hadn’t ate,
I would not have shown up late.
Then I wouldn’t write this verse
that sounds more like one long curse.
To some this month fills with glee,
I doubt that Caesar would agree
Neither would the snakes of Ire,
For them too, this month was dire.
But soon awakes the spring flowers,
Next month?  Well, then comes the showers.
And I will say once more for rhyme
I have no words, I’m out of time.



Comments

Popular Posts